This forum is now locked and moved (back) to Plogue's forum http://plogue.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=14
How to change Pitch-bend Range in SFZ?
  • HenriHenri
    HI everybody, everything's fine?

Say, there is anyway of configuring how the SFZ player bend the notes through midi pitchbend?
    I like to write music on Guitar Pro 5 and then export them to reaper. The thing is, GP5 pitchbends were configured with the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth in mind. So, i will show to you an example of how pitchbends are working and how they could work with different pich-bend ranges.

This is the melody with guitar slides that i used:
    Just our old friend C Major scale. Guitar slides are interpreted as midi pitchbends by Guitar Pro 5.

-How does the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth bend notes?
    -It works with a 12 semitones pitch-bend range.

-How did i discovered that?
    -I used Synth1 with the pitch-bend range set to 12. It worked fine and the synth played the scale beautifully. Then i set it to random values such as 18, 24, 6, 7 and it was awful.

I would like to know how does SFZ bendnotes. I have an impression that the pitch-bend range for SFZ is around 2, but i'm not sure. And even if it's 2, i can't find anyplace to change it for 12. Just so you can hear what i'm saying, i recorded the performances of the score i showed:

-How does SFZ plays the scale with a Acoustic guitar soundfont loaded:

-How Synth1 plays the scale with the PitchBend Range parameter set to 12

-How Synth1 plays the scale with the PitchBend Range parameter set to 18

-Midi file for the scale with the pitchbends

-How the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth plays the midi file (for those who need it)

So, there is any way i can adjust the pitchbend range? It would be great to do so as it limits a lot composing for strings, synths, etc.
    If the answer is "no", then would you guys consider it for a future update? =)

Well, that's it. Thanks a lot for your attention and developing this great software!
    Best regards,
    Henri.

• davidvdavidv

Hi this has been part of SFZ since 1.0 

http://www.cakewalk.com/DevXchange/article.aspx?aid=108

Example:

bend_up=1200 //cent

bend_down=700 //cent 

bend_step=100 //cents (makes it step on 100cent boudaries)

• bend_up=1200 //cent

bend_down=-700 //cent 

bend_step=100 //cents (makes it step on 100cent boudaries)

fixed  ;) 

• davidvdavidv
    Indeed!
  • HenriHenri
    Oh, i see! So this is an option of the soundfont itself! Guess i will have a lot of SF editing then haha

I tried and it worked nicely. Now i just need to try to get the SFs more realistic. Especially brass. It's so hard to find a good free brass that i actually didn't found it yet.

Anyway, i thank you for taking your time and helping me =)
    Thanks a lot, guys!
  • pljonespljones
    No one was talking about soundfonts.  The above apply to any sfz format instrument.
  • HenriHenri
    But isn't .sfz files also called soundfonts? I'm kind of a newbie in this world so i might be confusing terminologies and stuff
  • pljonespljones
    A .sfz file is a text file you can edit in any text editor.  It describes how a set of samples (in WAV or other sample format) should be played back in response to various MIDI events.

A .sf2 file - called a SoundFont - is a binary file containing sample data and encoded instructions for how to play in response to MIDI events.

There are many other sampler formats - for example, Kontakt has .nki.

sforzando natively supports .sfz files.  However, it will load .sf2 files and translate them into .sfz files and the sample set.  This is great because you can then use a text editor on the .sfz file to change how the samples are used.
  • just had some fun applying different bend steps to different regions. in the future, might it be possible to define steps in terms of distances. That is, like a curve that defines different scales?
  • i guess i should be clearer, i'm a little tired so maybe i'm not thinking it through, but could it be possible to step 200cents, then 100cents, then 400cents in a bend, making it play as the root (before bend), then 2nd, m3 and 5th on bending (like a note specific vocoder)
  • pljonespljones
    I think you could do this by defining different regions for each part of the bend range and then using the bend amount to select the region (as well as adjusting the pitch).  Of course, you'd get stepping between regions...  I like the idea of bend curves actually! :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!