This forum is now locked and moved (back) to Plogue's forum http://plogue.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=14
How waveguide opcode work ?
  • I found examples ("clav.sfz" and "different strokes on cc1.sfz") with the use of waveguide opcode for sfz player (from Cakewalk). But it don't work for Sforzando (error : No samples or generators where found !).

My questions are :
    • Is waveguide opcode is implemented in Sforzando or Aria Engine..
    • How it works.

For exemple this is the code for clav.sfz :

<group>
    sample=Waves\clav.ogg
    loop_start=1000 loop_end=14000 loop_mode=loop_continuous
    eq1_freq=1000 eq1_freqcc1=4000 eq1_gain=12
    waveguide=on

<region> pan=-100 effect1=20 transpose=-12
    <region> pan=100 tune=-5 effect1=20 transpose=-12

• davidvdavidv
    Aria does not implement the Dimension/Rapture waveguide opcode as its not documented enough.
  • But it work in SFZ Player (witch is a SFZ version 1.0) !
  • davidvdavidv

Does it? In any case its NOT in the 1.0 spec, and not described (in technical DSP terms) in the Simon Cann book, so its a Cakewalk specific extension.

If Cakewalk decided to publish that info, I wouldnt mind implementing it.

• Ok, thank you for your anwser. And i understand that no waveguide is provided by Aria Family.

PS :
    I ask this question about waveguide because when I used the rgc:audio player (SFZ) this opcde was already imlemented (i have a lot of sfz file from this period that use this sort of synthesis).

For the beauty of design test clav.sfz with the SFZ player (the same from rgc:audio). This will make you, maybe, change your mind.
  • pljonespljones
    Yup, it was sneaked into sfz 1.xx very late on - but it's definitely not "officially" sfz 1.0 spec.  I have it on my site under '"Undocumented" features', as RenĂ© wasn't ready to say if what was in sfz was going to stay or not.  Simon Cann's book (2nd Ed, pg 368) has a couple of lines but nothing that describes what happens in terms of the synthesis engine.

Note that waveguide synthesis is not the same as sample-based synthesis (or indeed, loading a waveform as an oscillator).  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_waveguide_synthesis
  • Thank you for this additional information.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!